Sunday, August 25, 2013

                                                                 School Days
                         
                           Well, it's time for school to start again. "Up in the morning and off to school, the teacher is teaching the Golden Rule". Do you kids remember your Dad singing that to you the first day of school each year? It was a tradition for him to take you the first day. I don't remember if he started that with Susan or later on with the younger kids. Susan didn't want to go to Kindergarten and I was so clueless that I didn't make her go. At that time it was optional. But I don't think it hurt her that she didn't go. When she started first grade she refused to get on the bus the first morning so I told the driver to go on and I took her to school. I took her out to the bus for several mornings and the same thing happened. Then one morning she said "I'm gonna ride the bus today" and she did from then on. Guess she had to get her courage up and it took a few days. The next year Sid went to kindergarten at the Oakland Heights Baptist Church which we had to pay for. If I remember correctly it was started in the public school system by the next year when Marjorie started. I do remember that I took Rita to school her first day of kindergarten. She was very attached to me and that must be why I took her instead of Jerry. The first day she would not go into the room and I think her teacher was finally able to coax her in. One of the things I hated the most about school starting was the books I had to cover. Ya'll would bring your books home the first day with some covers and I had to cover them all. There were never enough covers and I would use brown paper grocery sacks to cover them. Do ya'll remember that? I don't remember at what age you would cover them yourselves. Another thing I hated was all the papers a parent had to fill out the first week of school. And also packing the lunches every day. What a chore! I always liked it when school was out because we didn't have to stick to a schedule. I hope that all of our grandkids get off to a good start tomorrow on the first day and that the school year will be a good one for all of them. I can remember my school days back to the first grade. I never liked school but if I had to pick my favorite year it would be first grade. That might be because of my teacher Mrs. Tillery who also went to church with us. She was so sweet and nice and I enjoyed that year. So glad those days are over for me.
                                  
                      
                 

6 comments:

  1. We dont' have to cover the books thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all the covering of books too. So many!

    One thing I remember from elementary is he smell of my lunchbox.... like bananas and bread mixed together. Sounds funny, but I can still smell this occasionally when I have a strong memory from then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just telling Emma a few hours ago about the song that Dad would sing us. That's one of my fondest childhood memories. Mom I actually didn't stay at school on my first day. I did go in and put up my lunchbox. But then I came back out into the hall where you were and I guess I had a breakdown because I remember you took me home. I think you had to go in and get my lunchbox though. I didn't want to go back in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the book covering, I liked it because we could then write on the covers. I loved getting all the new school stuff, especially the new lunchbox every year. I also liked the initial days of seeing what all we'd be studying, although later on I might find certain classes really hard. In general I liked the learning part of school. Mom, its funny to hear you say you were clueless--I have to remind myself sometimes how young you were when I was little. You did an excellent job keeping our little ship moving along, with all us kids. That was a big job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded that song last year and any time I get to take the kids to school I play it.
    I remember my first day of kindergarten. I remember being very nervous. I didn't cry but I probably wanted to! Mom I hate the packing of school lunches also!

    ReplyDelete