Sunday, June 16, 2013

Early Childhood
 
 Our life revolved around our family and home and our religion. We were a hard working family where everyone had to do his or her part. I can't remember at what age I was expected to do chores but it was probably at a young age. Now I don't mean pre-school age but most likely in my older elementary school years. With our big family there was always a lot of work needing done. My first work was inside the house. After meals it was my two sisters and my job to clear the table, wash the dishes, and sweep the dining room and kitchen floors. We would rotate these jobs. We had what we called the slop jar where we put the leftover food from the plates. This was fed to the dogs and cats. I don't think my Dad ever bought pet food. I'm sure he couldn't afford that. Of course, we had no dishwasher then. I don't remember which job I preferred but it was probably clearing the table. The floors always had to be swept after the meals. Ya'll probably remember how my mother was about how everything had to be clean. With our brood, you can imagine how many dishes there were to wash and dry and put away. We didn't have to do it on school mornings but when we were home it was our job. Mom always cooked a big breakfast consisting of oatmeal, biscuits, gravy, and I can't remember for sure, but sometimes meat and eggs. She always had oatmeal and I loved it. Her biscuits and gravy were good too. I still can't cook as good as my mom. At least I don't think so.
We had hardwood floors all over the house and we kept them looking good. Our living room or family room was pretty big and we girls had to wax it pretty often. On our hands and knees we would put this thick wax on rags and rub it all over the floor. I hated that job. My parents believed in teaching us how to work and when I was a kid I didn't always appreciate it. But now I am glad that they had that kind of work ethic because we all know how to work and each of us has been able to take care of ourselves. Now some of you might be thinking "Mom, when have you ever had to take care of yourself ? " But you know what I mean. I have always been a hard working house wife, keeping a clean house, cooking, washing clothes, and taking care of eight kids. Oh well, I digressed there from my early childhood.
 


3 comments:

  1. One of the great things about stories is the digressions!

    Mom, I just realized that you handed down that division of labor when it comes to cleaning up after dinner, to me Susan and Vicki. That's exactly how we divvied it up, and rotated it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, waxing the floor on your hands and knees had to be hard.... how did mama make her oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she made it the same way we do when we don't make instant. Boil the water and add the oatmeal. Anyway it was good.

      Delete