Sunday, June 9, 2013

Going to Town
 
My mom went to town to buy groceries once a week and it was a treat to get to go with her. About the only time we went to town was for school when we turned six years old. There was also a small mom-and pop grocery store in the small community of  Enoch that she would go to occasionally to get something she was out of. About the earliest experience I can remember was when I was about four years old. She was going to the Enoch store one day and said I could go with her. So I lay down on her bed watching her get ready to go and I fell asleep. When I woke up she had gone and it was so disappointing that she had not woken me up to go with her. Now why do I remember that? When we did get to go with her to town she would buy us a banana which was a real treat because she couldn't afford to buy fruit all the time. My dad would buy us candy when he could and we would have to hug his neck before he would give it to us. Ya'll might not remember him as being affectionate but he loved to get hugs from us. I don't remember when that stopped but he wasn't that way when we were older. But he was still nice and good to us.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty much the only memory I have of papa is hugging his neck to get a piece of candy.... I dont remember much else about him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, how did your mom get to the store? She didn't drive, right? I don't remember getting candy from PaPa. But I do remember that he was nice to us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She went in whatever pickup we had at the time. No, she didn't drive so somebody had to take her. We couldn't all go anyplace at the same time because there wasn't room.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had gotten to know Papa. I think he passed away right after I was born. Mom I remember that when I was little I loved going to the grocery store with you. If I went across the street to Kelly's I would always insist that you come get me if you went to the store.

    ReplyDelete